Caregiver in Rockridge CA
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, each year more than 735,000 people throughout the United States suffer a heart attack. For more than 200,000 of these victims, this is a subsequent heart attack, meaning they have already suffered at least one attack before. This demonstrates how important it is for those who have suffered a heart attack to receive proper care and support as they recover to reduce the risk that they will have another attack. Whether your parent has had a prior heart attack or not, as a caregiver it is essential that you support them in getting the care that they need and taking responsibility for their health moving forward. An important part of this is making sure that they attend their follow-up appointments.
Follow-up appointments are a valuable way that your parent’s medical team stays in close contact with your parent and monitors their health and well-being as they go through their recovery. Some of the reasons why this is so important include:
- Monitor effectiveness of medication and treatments. There are many potential options for medications and treatments after a senior suffers a heart attack. The doctor will prescribe the option that they feel is right for your parent, but it is always important to make sure that it is actually working properly. Follow-up appointments enable the medical team to evaluate your parent’s condition and their response to their prescriptions and treatments so they can make any necessary changes.
- Support lifestyle changes. Suffering a heart attack is often the beginning of a new lifestyle for an elderly adult. This can be stressful and challenging, particularly when it comes to potentially major changes such as a new diet or increased physical activity. Follow-up appointments are an opportunity for your parent to discuss these changes with their doctor and get recommendations and support to help them handle these changes effectively.
- Discuss changes. Having a heart attack can sometimes bring to light other health complications and issues that they might not have recognized before, or that were not as pressing. During their recovery your parent or you might notice changes that could indicate these issues. It is important to bring any changes to the attention of their medical team. This allows the doctor to evaluate these changes and issues so that they can make sure that your parent’s health stays at its best, and that any prescriptions or treatments they have started for their heart attack do not react negatively with these issues or their treatments.
If your aging parent has suffered a heart attack, home care can provide a valuable source of support, encouragement, and care for your elderly loved one, and for you as their family caregiver. A care provider can be with your loved one on a customized schedule that ensures your parent gets the level of care and assistance that is truly right for them. When it comes to helping them maintain elements of their recovery, such as attending their follow-up appointments, this care provider can provide essential services including safe and reliable transportation, physical assistance, taking notes to keep you up-to-date on the events of the appointment or your parent’s condition, and offer reminders for them to remain compliant with their medications, treatments, and guidelines.
If you or an aging loved one are considering hiring professional caregiver services in Rockridge, CA, call the caring staff at Aviva In-Home Care. Call today: (415) 795-2203
At Aviva, we also use the latest in health technology to maximize opportunities for communication between all members of our client’s care circles. We utilize nursing oversight to ensure that we are in compliance with physician orders, and that our careplans are being properly administered. Lastly, Aviva is a proud member of The Senior’s Choice, a national network of leading home care agencies that share best practices and focus on continual improvement.
As owner of the business, I also promise to you my direct involvement in your loved ones care, and will always make myself available for feedback and improvements in our service. I look forward to working with you and your loved one on creating a care plan that is perfectly suited to the family's needs. Thank you for considering Aviva as your care partner.
Latest posts by Evan Loevner, CEO (see all)
- Coping with Caregiver Burnout - May 24, 2017
- Are You Taking Over for Your Loved One or Just Helping Her? - May 17, 2017
- National Egg Month: Egg Nutrition and Seniors - May 11, 2017