Summer is right around the corner, and if you are like many people your thoughts are moving toward the fun summertime celebrations that you will enjoy with your loved ones. One of the most common forms of these activities is cookouts. While these can be a fantastic way to enjoy time with your friends and family and eat some of the flavorful foods of the season, as a family caregiver it is important that you also recognize one of the dangers that this type of celebration can pose: foodborne infection. Each year, millions of people throughout the United States contract this type of illness, and approximately 3,000 die. Elderly adults are particularly vulnerable, making it vital that you understand food safety so you can protect your senior, and the rest of your family, from the potentially devastating consequences.
Use these food safety tips to help keep your senior’s summer celebrations safe and healthy:
- When shopping, make sure to bring along insulated containers to protect cold or already-hot foods.
- Keep all meats and poultry separate from each other, as well as separate from other ingredients, and wrapped tightly to prevent cross-contamination from the juices.
- Make sure that everyone preparing food washes their hands carefully before cooking and after coming into contact with any raw meat or poultry before touching any other food or surfaces.
- Keep foods that contain vulnerable ingredients such as mayonnaise or dairy in the refrigerator or cooler until all food is prepared and ready for service.
- Leave mayonnaise, dairy, or raw food out of the cooler or refrigerator for no more than an hour, and meat for no more than 4 hours.
- Eat all leftovers within 3 to 5 days, or freeze immediately.
If you have been looking for a way to help your parent achieve and maintain a higher quality of life as they age in place, starting elder care for them may be the ideal choice. An elderly home care services provider can be with your senior on a schedule that is customized to their individual needs so that they are able to not only manage their challenges and limitations in the way that is right for them, but can also pursue a lifestyle that is as active, engaged, independent, and fulfilling as possible throughout your parent’s later years. This care provider can give your parent a wide range of services that is highly personalized to ensure that they are able to live the quality of life that they desire and deserve. This can include providing safe and reliable transportation to where they need and want to go so that they can maintain more activity and independence, assisting with personal care needs, and encouraging your loved one to make healthy lifestyle choices that can protect their health and well-being. When it comes to protecting your senior from foodborne illness, this care provider can support your parent in ensuring that their food is prepared and stored properly, and that expired foods are removed from the kitchen before they can potentially cause an illness.
If you or an aging loved one are considering hiring professional elder care in Pacifica, CA, call the caring staff at Aviva In-Home Care. Call today: (415) 795-2203
At Aviva, we also use the latest in health technology to maximize opportunities for communication between all members of our client’s care circles. We utilize nursing oversight to ensure that we are in compliance with physician orders, and that our careplans are being properly administered. Lastly, Aviva is a proud member of The Senior’s Choice, a national network of leading home care agencies that share best practices and focus on continual improvement.
As owner of the business, I also promise to you my direct involvement in your loved ones care, and will always make myself available for feedback and improvements in our service. I look forward to working with you and your loved one on creating a care plan that is perfectly suited to the family's needs. Thank you for considering Aviva as your care partner.