Elderly Care in Pacifica CA
Glaucoma is the leading cause of blindness in the United States, but can also be prevented if the elder makes healthy choices. It is a cluster of diseases that causes damage to the optic nerve in the eye, resulting in irreversible vision loss and possible blindness. Older adults with this condition often are unable to complete even simple tasks because of their vision loss, requiring an elderly care provider to help them with these tasks.
Whether your loved one has been diagnosed with glaucoma or you are concerned they will develop this disease, the more you know about it, the better you or their caregiver can care for them”
Common Types of Glaucoma
- Open-angle Glaucoma. The elder’s vision will slowly become more narrow as their peripheral vision gets worse. This type of vision loss is comparable to looking at the world through a paper towel roll.
- Low-tension or normal-tension glaucoma. This form of glaucoma is much more difficult to detect because there is no alarming change to the intraocular pressure in the eye. But the damage done to the eye will cause a decrease in blood flow to the optic nerve.
- Angle-closure glaucoma. The iris will be pushed against the eye if the intraocular pressure becomes too high, causing the drainage to become blocked. An acute glaucoma attack will occur if the drainage becomes completely blocked, causing the elder to lose their vision very quickly.
- Open-angle glaucoma. This is the most common type of glaucoma, which causes a slow and painless loss of peripheral vision.
The doctor will be able to detect glaucoma by conducting a complete eye exam. This eye exam will include a visual field exam, visual acuity exam, tonometry, and a dilated eye exam.
It is still unknown as to what can prevent glaucoma from developing, but there are some theories. Studies have been conducted that found omega-3 fatty acids to be effective at keeping the eyes strong. Traditional Western diets are low in this nutrient, whereas the fish-rich diets of Japan include high levels of omega-3 fatty acids. The lack of this nutrient in many Americans diet could be why glaucoma is the leading cause of blindness in this country.
There is still know cure for glaucoma, but there are some treatment options available to slow down the progression of vision loss. Some of the most popular medications include:
- Beta blockers
- Alpha-adrenergic agonists
- Carbonic anhydrase inhibitors
With this information, you will be able to give your loved one the care they need.
If you or an aging loved one are considering hiring professional elderly care in Pacifica, CA, call the caring staff at Aviva In-Home Care. Call today: (415) 795-2203
At Aviva, we also use the latest in health technology to maximize opportunities for communication between all members of our client’s care circles. We utilize nursing oversight to ensure that we are in compliance with physician orders, and that our careplans are being properly administered. Lastly, Aviva is a proud member of The Senior’s Choice, a national network of leading home care agencies that share best practices and focus on continual improvement.
As owner of the business, I also promise to you my direct involvement in your loved ones care, and will always make myself available for feedback and improvements in our service. I look forward to working with you and your loved one on creating a care plan that is perfectly suited to the family's needs. Thank you for considering Aviva as your care partner.
Latest posts by Evan Loevner, CEO (see all)
- Is Your Parent at Increased Risk for Suffering Arthritis? - January 18, 2019
- FAQs About Home Care Providers and Seniors with Dementia - January 10, 2019
- My Stubborn Elderly Parent Refuses Help - January 2, 2019