Home Care in San Francisco CA
Pain is something that many older adults suffer from, especially pain that occurs in the back. This type of pain can make doing everyday activities very difficult, causing the elder to rely on help from a home care provider.
Luckily, there are plenty of ways your elderly parent can reduce their amount of pain and continue doing the activities and hobbies they love. Below are some tips older adults can use to help reduce the amount of back pain they are feeling.
- Medications. For immediate pain relief, the elder’s doctor may prescribe medication. There are a wide range of prescription drugs that can do the job, such as muscle relaxants, topical pain relievers, antidepressants, and even injections. Over-the-counter pain relievers may also help, but the senior should talk to their doctor before taking them to ensure they will not interfere with their current medication.
- Get educated. The more you and your parent know about their back problems, the more both of you will understand how to manage the pain. A local hospital or senior center may offer classes on pain management. If you are unable to find a class in the elder’s community, set up a meeting with their doctor to discuss different ways to reduce their pain.
- Physical therapy. A physical therapist can help ease your loved one’s pain by creating a personalized exercise program that will teach them exercises that will provide pain relief. Once you and the senior know these exercises, they can begin doing them at home as long as they get the approval of their doctor and/or physical therapist.
- Surgery. In the most severe cases, the doctor may recommend having surgery to eliminate the elder’s back pain. This is especially true if the pain travels down the legs or causes muscle weakness.
- Relaxation techniques. In some cases, back pain is caused by tension or stress. Encourage your loved one to join a yoga class or begin meditating regularly in order to better manage their stress and pain levels.
- Go to a chiropractor. A chiropractor can help by manipulating the spine with their hands in order to relieve the pain. Many people swear by the healing power of chiropractors, so it is worth a shot if your loved one is unable to get rid of their pain.
- Acupuncture. One less common method for pain relief is acupuncture. It involves the insertion of sterilized needles in the pressure points associated with the back.
If you or an aging loved one are considering hiring professional Home Care in San Francisco, CA, call the caring staff at Aviva In-Home Care. Call today: (415) 795-2203
At Aviva, we also use the latest in health technology to maximize opportunities for communication between all members of our client’s care circles. We utilize nursing oversight to ensure that we are in compliance with physician orders, and that our careplans are being properly administered. Lastly, Aviva is a proud member of The Senior’s Choice, a national network of leading home care agencies that share best practices and focus on continual improvement.
As owner of the business, I also promise to you my direct involvement in your loved ones care, and will always make myself available for feedback and improvements in our service. I look forward to working with you and your loved one on creating a care plan that is perfectly suited to the family's needs. Thank you for considering Aviva as your care partner.
Latest posts by Evan Loevner, CEO (see all)
- How Can Seniors with Metabolic Syndrome Avoid Complications? - November 21, 2017
- Tips for Helping Your Senior Cope with Their Emotions During the Early Stage of Alzheimer’s Disease - November 17, 2017
- How Should Insulin Be Stored? - November 9, 2017