Making treatment decisions can be one of the most challenging elements of a care journey with a senior who has been diagnosed with cancer. There are many different types of treatment options available and it is vital that your parent has the opportunity to make the choice that is not only right for them but also right for the type of cancer that they are dealing with.
As a family caregiver, it is your responsibility not to make this decision for them, but to help them to understand the options that are available to them, and how they might impact their cancer and their lifestyle, and to give them the support they need to make this decision and then follow through.
Some things to ask when talking to your senior about their cancer treatment decisions include:
• What do they hope to accomplish with their treatment?
• Do they have any fears or concerns regarding treatment?
• Do they already have an idea of what types of treatments they might choose, or ones that they absolutely will not pursue?
• What recommendations has their doctor given them, and do they agree with them?
• What are their end-of-life wishes, and how do they work with the goals that they have for their treatment?
• How will your parent follow through with these treatments?
• Will they have the support and assistance that they need to manage their treatments as well as their personal care needs?
What can you do?
Starting elderly care for your senior may be one of the best decisions that you can make for your senior throughout the course of your caregiver journey with them. An elderly home care services provider can be there with your parent on a customized schedule to ensure that they get the support, care, and assistance that is right for them while also keeping you as the primary force behind their care.
A set of highly personalized services are tailored specifically to your parent’s needs, challenges, and limitations, and designed around the goal of helping your parent to stay healthy, happy, comfortable, and safe while maintaining as much independence and fulfillment as they age in place.
If they are going through a challenging journey, such as dealing with cancer, you can feel confident that the care of an elderly care provider can help them through it in meaningful and beneficial ways. This can include helping them to stay physically active, providing emotional support and companionship, and giving reminders to help them stay compliant with their medications and treatments.
If you or an aging loved-one are considering home care services in Lafayette, CA, call the caring staff at Aviva In-Home Care. Call today: (415) 795-2203
At Aviva, we also use the latest in health technology to maximize opportunities for communication between all members of our client’s care circles. We utilize nursing oversight to ensure that we are in compliance with physician orders, and that our careplans are being properly administered. Lastly, Aviva is a proud member of The Senior’s Choice, a national network of leading home care agencies that share best practices and focus on continual improvement.
As owner of the business, I also promise to you my direct involvement in your loved ones care, and will always make myself available for feedback and improvements in our service. I look forward to working with you and your loved one on creating a care plan that is perfectly suited to the family's needs. Thank you for considering Aviva as your care partner.
Latest posts by Evan Loevner, CEO (see all)
- How Is Your Senior’s Balance? - May 14, 2019
- 5 Ways to Prevent Caregiver Burnout - May 9, 2019
- Do You Know What Ambiguous Loss Means in Terms of Alzheimer’s? - May 2, 2019